Experimental Melbourne CBD Long Range Weather Forecast

Based Upon Statistical Interpretation of NOAA Data

Combined With Human Forecasts

(http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready.html)

NOAA Data At: 10am, 9-7-2024

Minimum temperatures are for the night/early morning, maximum temperatures are for the daytime,
whilst precipitation amounts and probabilities are for the 24 hours from midnight.

Temperatures for the Melbourne observation site (at Olympic Park) are in brackets.

Day & DateMorningAfternoonMin
Temp
(deg C)
Max
Temp
(deg C)
Precip
Amount
(mm)
Precip
Prob
(%)
9am Wind/
3pm Wind
Melb Apt
(km/hr)
Wed-10-7-2024Possible Shower.
Partly Cloudy.
8.8
(8.6)
15.5
(14.9)
041NW 12
WNW 12
Gusts35
Thu-11-7-2024Shower.
Rain.
9.1
(8.7)
13.6
(14)
2.179N 35
N 35
Gusts75
Fri-12-7-2024Shower.
Rain.
9.3
(9.1)
15.1
(14.7)
2.475NNW 8
SW 10
Gusts30
Sat-13-7-2024Shower.
Shower.
7.2
(7.2)
13.8
(13)
0.969WSW 12
SSW 15
Gusts35
Sun-14-7-2024Shower.
Shower.
6.1
(6.2)
13.7
(13.2)
2.267NW 12
W 15
Gusts40
Mon-15-7-2024Rain.
Rain.
6.3
(6.3)
12.4
(11.2)
2.370SSW 20
S 30
Gusts50
Tue-16-7-2024Rain.
Rain.
6.1
(6)
12
(11.3)
1.481WSW 12
SSW 15
Gusts35
Wed-17-7-2024Rain.
Rain.
6.7
(6.7)
13.4
(12.6)
1.774WSW 12
SSW 15
Gusts35
Thu-18-7-2024Cloudy.
Shower.
6.7
(6.6)
13.9
(13.9)
0.652N 20
NNW 20
Gusts50
Fri-19-7-2024Partly Cloudy.
Cloudy.
7
(6.7)
13.8
(13.4)
034N 10
N 12
Gusts40
Sat-20-7-2024Sunny.
Partly Cloudy.
5.5
(5.2)
14.5
(13.9)
017N 12
N 20
Gusts40
Sun-21-7-2024Windy.
Windy.
7.1
(6.6)
15.5
(15.6)
020N 30
N 35
Gusts75
Mon-22-7-2024Cloudy.
Shower.
7.8
(7.5)
15.7
(16.2)
1.357N 30
N 35
Gusts75
Tue-23-7-2024Shower.
Rain.
7.9
(7.7)
14.7
(15.2)
2.171N 35
N 35
Gusts75

The Weather Icons

Acknowledgement: Bureau of Meteorology & World Meteorological Organisation

Sunny
Dry
Haze
Mist
Fog
Partly Cloudy
Cloudy
Windy
Dust

Possible Shower
Drizzle
Shower
Snow
Rain
Thunder
Cyclone

Definitions

IconMeaning
Sunny:Sun shines >75% of the time
Dry: As 'sunny', but used on days when Max > 30 Deg C
& Relative Humidity drops below 10%
Haze: As 'sunny', but used on days when visibility drops
below 5000 m due to smoke
Mist: Visibility below 5000 m due to water droplets but above 1000 m
(also used on days when isolated fog patches)
Fog: Visibility below 1000 m
Partly Cloudy: Sun shines between 25% & 75% of the time
Cloudy: Sun shines <25% of the time
Windy: No precipitation & wind speed averages
'fresh' (18 kts) or stronger
Dust: Visibility <1km due to dust raised by wind
Possible Shower: Isolated light precipitation <25% of the metropolitan area
Drizzle: Liquid precipitation that is almost continuous
& made up of fine droplets
Shower: Brief periods of liquid precipitation
Snow: Snow or sleet falls (includes cases of flurries and/or ice)
Rain: Liquid precipitation that is almost continuous
but droplets are of medium size or large (not fine)
Thunder: Thunder heard or lightning seen
Cyclone: Wind speed averages 'storm force' (60 kts) or stronger


Weather Pattern for Wed-10-7-2024:
High near Head of the Bight.
Moderate to fresh westerly flow across Victoria.

Bay Forecast

15 knot W to SW wind.
Waves of 1 to 1.5 metres.

Melbourne Terminal Aerodrome Forecast (TAF)

TAF YMML 1212 33008KT 9999 SCT035
FM21 29010KT 9999 BKN035
FM03 26012KT 9999 SCT035

RMK
T 10 8 7 7 Q 1019 1019 1019 1021


THREE MONTH OUTLOOK FOR AUG/SEP/OCT:

NCEP's Depiction of the Global Sea Surface Temperature Evolution

The average Indian Ocean Dipole Mode Index for the past week is -0.4 (-0.77 standard deviations), the average Southern Oscillation Index (SOI) for the past 90 days is -1.36, the average SOI for the past 30 days is -2.03, and the latest recorded bimonthly Multivariate ENSO Index (MEI) is 0.203. The expected MEI, adjusted by the Indian Ocean Dipole Mode Index and also by recent values of the SOI, for JUN/JUL is -0.28. Such a value of MEI indicates a sea surface temperature distribution that corresponds to a very weak La Niña. This suggests:

RAINFALL: There is a very slightly enhanced chance that total AUG/SEP/OCT rainfall will be above normal in the MALLEE, WIMMERA, NORTHERN COUNTRY, NORTH CENTRAL, NORTHEAST, WEST GIPPSLAND, CENTRAL and WESTERN Districts, but there is little indication as to whether total AUG/SEP/OCT rainfall below, near or above normal in the other Victorian District, EAST GIPPSLAND.

OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES: There is a very slightly enhanced chance that average AUG/SEP/OCT overnight temperatures will be above normal in the WIMMERA, NORTHERN COUNTRY, NORTH CENTRAL , NORTHEAST and WESTERN Districts, but there is little indication as to whether overnight temperatures will be below, near or above normal in other Victorian Districts.

DAYTIME TEMPERATURES: There is a very slightly enhanced chance that average AUG/SEP/OCT daytime temperatures will be below normal in all Victorian Districts.



30 DAY OUTLOOK FOR MELBOURNE:

Today's scientists talk in terms of the continent's large climate variability from season to season, and from year to year. What causes these fluctuations? They are, in part, connected with the climate phenomenon called the Southern Oscillation, a major air pressure shift between the Asian and east Pacific regions whose best-known extremes are El Niño events and La Niña events. The Pacific Ocean is a huge mass of water which controls many climate features in its region. Its equatorial expanse, far larger than the Indian or Atlantic Oceans, is critical to the development of the Southern Oscillation and the El Niño and the La Niña. The Multivariate ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation) Index, which combines the Sea Surface Temperature (SST) distribution across the Pacific with various features of the atmospheric circulation, is used to monitor the evolution of the El Niño and Southern Oscillation phenomena. The MEI is a bimonthly index which is calculated at the end of each month.

Another region of Sea Surface Temperature variability that impacts on Australian climate is that of the Indian Ocean. One mode of variability that appears to affect Australian rainfall, particularly the south east of the country, is the Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD). The IOD referred to here is defined by an index that is the difference between SST in the western (50°-70°E, 0°S-10°N) and eastern (90°-110°E, 10°-0°S) tropical Indian Oceans. A positive Indian Ocean Dipole Mode Index (DMI) occurs when the western basin is warmer than average and the eastern basin is cool and hence the DMI is positive. These regions were proposed in a paper by Saji et al. (1999) on the Indian Ocean Dipole that showed a modulation in Australian seasonal rainfall with DMI positive and negative years. The current Indian Ocean Dipole Mode Index (DMI) is -0.77 standard deviations.

Also impacting upon Australian climate variability is a phenomenon known as the Intra Seasonal Oscillation (ISO) (also known as the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO), after Madden and Julian, who first identified it in the early 1970s). They discovered that, at many locations in the tropics, surface pressure and upper atmospheric winds tend to go through a coherent cycle over periods of about 40 to 50 days. It has been found that a broad area of active cloud and rainfall propagates eastwards around the equator at intervals of between about 40 and 50 days. These are not strict time limits - research over the years has pushed the limits of the oscillation's period to between about 30 and 60 days. The Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) is presently operating in Phase 3. This is reflected in the near-equatorial enhanced convection being found over the over the eastern Indian Ocean. Following Phase 3, the region of enhanced convection often moves from the eastern Indian Ocean to the western part of what is referred to as the Maritime Continent (Indonesia).

In Melbourne, at this time of the year, a combination of the MEI, the DMI, and the MJO Phase, such as what we have operating now, suggests, over the following 30 days:

RAINFALL: There is a 39% chance of it being wet, a 33% chance of normal rainfall, and a 28% chance of it being dry.

Wet
Weather
Dry
Weather
Normal
Weather


OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES:
There is a 48% chance of warm nights, a 31% chance of normal overnight temperatures, and a 21% chance of cool nights.

Warm
Nights
Cool
Nights
Normal
Nights


DAYTIME TEMPERATURES: There is a 31% chance of warm days, a 33% chance of normal daytime temperatures, and a 36% chance of cool days.
Warm
Days
Cool
Days
Normal
Days


INPUT DATA

Day & DateMSLPmelMSLPhayMSLPsmiMSLPgabMSLPmtgMSLPfor700
rhmel
850
temp
min
9am
12noon
3pm
3pmdpt

gfsprecip
syn
type
offprecis
climatology
prob
TS
prob
FOG
raw
MIN
raw
MAX
raw
PoP
raw
QPF
Initial1020.61021.81019.71017.91023.61023.795.6311.3
12.2
13.3
13.1
12.3
--------
Wed-10-7-20241022.21024.31016.71019.21022.11016.2304.20.324PARTLY CLOUDY
9-15 9.2-15.6 30% 0- 1 (19% 0)
0.1%4.6%6.714.824.8%0.8
Thu-11-7-202410191021.51015.51020.51012.21020.8302.9235RAIN AT TIMES
8-13 8.4-12.6 70% 0- 3 (99% 8)
3%0.4%8.715.273.1%2.2
Fri-12-7-20241015.61016.11012.61014.61016.11024.1841.16.17SHOWER OR TWO
9-15 9.2-15.4 70% 0- 4 (47% 1)
2.2%0.8%9.413.672%3.3
Sat-13-7-20241018.91019.71016.81014.41019.11023.63000.325SHOWER OR TWO
7-13 7-13.8 60% 0- 2 (47% 1)
1.6%2%7.113.481.4%1.4
Sun-14-7-20241015.61018.210111013.21017.31023.1900.24.623SHOWER OR TWO
4-13 3.9-13.6 60% 0- 4 (46% 1)
1.6%0.5%8.21374.7%2
Mon-15-7-20241019.81018.41020.71013.71023.21024.630-2.6243SHOWER OR TWO
5-11 5-12.2 70% 0- 7 (47% 1)
1.6%8.1%7.111.770.5%1.2
Tue-16-7-20241022.11022.11020.71019.110241029.890-2.61.925SHOWERS
4-10 4.1-10.7 80% 1- 10 (75% 1
2.2%1.5%6.511.988%2
Wed-17-7-20241023.21023.41021.71019.91025.71030.830-2.2225Empty
7.1-13.9 49% 1.5
2%1.4%5.112.387.8%2
Thu-18-7-20241018.91021.31014.71018.11014.61025.830-2.20.121Empty
7.1-13.9 49% 1.5
2.6%1.1%4.913.170.1%2.6
Fri-19-7-202410221020.81020.810221020.71025.857.7-1.103Empty
7.1-13.9 49% 1.5
4.1%1.7%5.21356.5%19
Sat-20-7-20241030.21030.21029.61029.91027.41012.9300.204Empty
7.1-13.9 49% 1.5
0.2%3.2%313.71.4%1.1
Sun-21-7-20241028.61029.61027.110311021.41011.4303.2036Empty
7.2-14.4 49% 1.5
0.1%0.3%5.915.38.4%0.2
Mon-22-7-20241020.21023.81015.41024.61013.71017.3303.23.936Empty
7.2-14.4 49% 1.5
0.6%0.3%7.115.750.9%1.8
Tue-23-7-20241013.31016.51008.81016.71008.11024.4301.42.435Empty
7.2-14.4 49% 1.5
3.4%0.3%7.21485.9%3.3
Day 151009.81014.61004.81004.91008.91031.957.5-3.83.5oooooooooooooooooooooooo

DAYDATEWEATHER
(Melbourne)
WIND
(Melbourne Airport)
TEMPERATURES, RAINFALL, PHENOMENA
(Melbourne Olympic Park Site)
WEEK 1
Wed10-7-2024A chilly night then a cool day. Cloudy at times during the morning with just the chance of a shower or two. Sunny periods during the afternoon.
PRECIS: POSSIBLE SHOWER
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a northwesterly direction at about 12 km/hr during the morning and from a west to northwesterly direction, also at about 12 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 35 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 8.6°C to 14.9°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 41% (probability)
FOG 5% (probability)
THUNDER 0% (probability)
Thu11-7-2024A chilly night then a cool day. Cloudy. Just a few showers during the morning, increasing to rain during the afternoon.
PRECIS: RAIN
Mainly fresh wind, from a northerly direction at about 35 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a northerly direction, also at about 35 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 75 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 8.7°C to 14°C
RAINFALL 2.1mm (amount) 79% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 3% (probability)
Fri12-7-2024A chilly night then a cool day. Cloudy. Just a few showers during the morning, increasing to rain during the afternoon.
PRECIS: RAIN
Mainly light wind, from a north to northwesterly direction at about 8 km/hr during the morning and from a southwesterly direction at about 10 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 30 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 9.1°C to 14.7°C
RAINFALL 2.4mm (amount) 75% (probability)
FOG 1% (probability)
THUNDER 2% (probability)
Sat13-7-2024A chilly night then a cool day. Cloudy at times with a few showers.
PRECIS: SHOWERS
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a west to southwesterly direction at about 12 km/hr during the morning and from a south to southwesterly direction at about 15 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 35 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 7.2°C to 13°C
RAINFALL 0.9mm (amount) 69% (probability)
FOG 2% (probability)
THUNDER 2% (probability)
Sun14-7-2024A chilly night then a cool day. Cloudy at times with a few showers.
PRECIS: SHOWERS
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a northwesterly direction at about 12 km/hr during the morning and from a westerly direction at about 15 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 40 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 6.2°C to 13.2°C
RAINFALL 2.2mm (amount) 67% (probability)
FOG 1% (probability)
THUNDER 2% (probability)
Mon15-7-2024A chilly night then a very cool day. Cloudy with rain at times.
PRECIS: RAIN
Mainly moderate wind, from a south to southwesterly direction at about 20 km/hr during the morning and from a southerly direction at about 30 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 50 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 6.3°C to 11.2°C
RAINFALL 2.3mm (amount) 70% (probability)
FOG 8% (probability)
THUNDER 2% (probability)
Tue16-7-2024A chilly night then a very cool day. Cloudy with rain at times.
PRECIS: RAIN
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a west to southwesterly direction at about 12 km/hr during the morning and from a south to southwesterly direction at about 15 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 35 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 6°C to 11.3°C
RAINFALL 1.4mm (amount) 81% (probability)
FOG 1% (probability)
THUNDER 2% (probability)

DAYDATEWEATHER
(Melbourne)
WIND
(Melbourne Airport)
TEMPERATURES, RAINFALL, PHENOMENA
(Melbourne Olympic Park Site)
WEEK 2
Wed17-7-2024A chilly night then a very cool day. Cloudy with rain at times.
PRECIS: RAIN
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a west to southwesterly direction at about 12 km/hr during the morning and from a south to southwesterly direction at about 15 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 35 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 6.7°C to 12.6°C
RAINFALL 1.7mm (amount) 74% (probability)
FOG 1% (probability)
THUNDER 2% (probability)
Thu18-7-2024A chilly night then a cool day. Cloudy. A few showers developing during the afternoon.
PRECIS: SHOWERS LATER
Mainly moderate wind, from a northerly direction at about 20 km/hr during the morning and from a north to northwesterly direction, also at about 20 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 50 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 6.6°C to 13.9°C
RAINFALL 0.6mm (amount) 52% (probability)
FOG 1% (probability)
THUNDER 3% (probability)
Fri19-7-2024A chilly night then a cool day. Sunny periods during the morning. Becoming cloudy during the afternoon, but without precipitation.
PRECIS: BECOMING CLOUDY
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a northerly direction at about 10 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a northerly direction, but at about 12 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 40 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 6.7°C to 13.4°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 34% (probability)
FOG 2% (probability)
THUNDER 4% (probability)
Sat20-7-2024A cold night then a cool day. A sunny morning. Cloudy at times during the afternoon, but without precipitation.
PRECIS: CLOUD INCREASING
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a northerly direction at about 12 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a northerly direction, but at about 20 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 40 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 5.2°C to 13.9°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 17% (probability)
FOG 3% (probability)
THUNDER 0% (probability)
Sun21-7-2024A chilly night then a cool day. Breezy and cloudy at times, but without precipitation.
PRECIS: WINDY
Mainly fresh wind, from a northerly direction at about 30 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a northerly direction, but at about 35 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 75 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 6.6°C to 15.6°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 20% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 0% (probability)
Mon22-7-2024A chilly night then a cool to mild day. Cloudy. A few showers developing during the afternoon.
PRECIS: SHOWERS LATER
Mainly fresh wind, from a northerly direction at about 30 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a northerly direction, but at about 35 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 75 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 7.5°C to 16.2°C
RAINFALL 1.3mm (amount) 57% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 1% (probability)
Tue23-7-2024A chilly night then a cool day. Cloudy. Just a few showers during the morning, increasing to rain during the afternoon.
PRECIS: RAIN
Mainly fresh wind, from a northerly direction at about 35 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a northerly direction, also at about 35 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 75 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 7.7°C to 15.2°C
RAINFALL 2.1mm (amount) 71% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 3% (probability)