Experimental Melbourne CBD Long Range Weather Forecast

Based Upon Statistical Interpretation of NOAA Data

Combined With Human Forecasts

(http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready.html)

NOAA Data At: 10am, 29-11-2022

Minimum temperatures are for the night/early morning, maximum temperatures are for the daytime,
whilst precipitation amounts and probabilities are for the 24 hours from midnight.

Temperatures for the Melbourne observation site (at Olympic Park) are in brackets.

Day & DateMorningAfternoonMin
Temp
(deg C)
Max
Temp
(deg C)
Precip
Amount
(mm)
Precip
Prob
(%)
9am Wind/
3pm Wind
Melb Apt
(km/hr)
Wed-30-11-2022Partly Cloudy.
Sunny.
11
(10.7)
21.4
(20.2)
09SW 8
S 10
Gusts30
Thu-1-12-2022Cloudy.
Sunny.
12.7
(12.2)
20.7
(19.3)
022SSE 12
S 20
Gusts40
Fri-2-12-2022Haze.
Haze.
11.9
(11.3)
24
(22.7)
01S 8
S 15
Gusts35
Sat-3-12-2022Sunny.
Sunny.
12.6
(12.1)
30.7
(29.5)
02N 10
S 15
Gusts45
Sun-4-12-2022Sunny.
Partly Cloudy.
17.2
(16.4)
31.7
(30.5)
013N 10
S 15
Gusts45
Mon-5-12-2022Partly Cloudy.
Partly Cloudy.
16.9
(16.2)
26.6
(25.5)
031N 10
S 20
Gusts45
Tue-6-12-2022Partly Cloudy.
Thunder.
16
(15.3)
26.9
(26.4)
1.650N 20
N 20
Gusts60
Wed-7-12-2022Shower.
Shower.
12.6
(12.2)
22.1
(20.5)
1.460SSW 15
S 20
Gusts45
Thu-8-12-2022Cloudy.
Sunny.
13.1
(12.5)
22.1
(20.5)
023SSE 12
S 20
Gusts40
Fri-9-12-2022Sunny.
Partly Cloudy.
13
(12.2)
27.2
(26.2)
013N 20
N 25
Gusts60
Sat-10-12-2022Windy.
Windy.
16.1
(15.3)
27.1
(26.9)
049N 40
N 40
Gusts80
Sun-11-12-2022Shower.
Shower.
14.2
(14)
24.1
(22.7)
1.152SW 20
SSW 20
Gusts45
Mon-12-12-2022Partly Cloudy.
Cloudy.
13.4
(13.1)
22.4
(21.1)
025SW 20
SSW 20
Gusts45
Tue-13-12-2022Cloudy.
Sunny.
13.1
(12.7)
22.1
(20.7)
024SW 15
S 20
Gusts40

The Weather Icons

Acknowledgement: Bureau of Meteorology & World Meteorological Organisation

Sunny
Dry
Haze
Mist
Fog
Partly Cloudy
Cloudy
Windy
Dust

Possible Shower
Drizzle
Shower
Snow
Rain
Thunder
Cyclone

Definitions

IconMeaning
Sunny:Sun shines >75% of the time
Dry: As 'sunny', but used on days when Max > 30 Deg C
& Relative Humidity drops below 10%
Haze: As 'sunny', but used on days when visibility drops
below 5000 m due to smoke
Mist: Visibility below 5000 m due to water droplets but above 1000 m
(also used on days when isolated fog patches)
Fog: Visibility below 1000 m
Partly Cloudy: Sun shines between 25% & 75% of the time
Cloudy: Sun shines <25% of the time
Windy: No precipitation & wind speed averages
'fresh' (18 kts) or stronger
Dust: Visibility <1km due to dust raised by wind
Possible Shower: Isolated light precipitation <25% of the metropolitan area
Drizzle: Liquid precipitation that is almost continuous
& made up of fine droplets
Shower: Brief periods of liquid precipitation
Snow: Snow or sleet falls (includes cases of flurries and/or ice)
Rain: Liquid precipitation that is almost continuous
but droplets are of medium size or large (not fine)
Thunder: Thunder heard or lightning seen
Cyclone: Wind speed averages 'storm force' (60 kts) or stronger


Weather Pattern for Wed-30-11-2022:
High just southwest of Adelaide.
Light southwesterly flow across Victoria.

Bay Forecast

10 to 15 knot S to SW wind.
Waves of 1 metre.

Melbourne Terminal Aerodrome Forecast (TAF)

TAF YMML 1212 27005KT CAVOK
FM21 23005KT 9999 FEW025
FM03 18007KT CAVOK

RMK
T 15 12 10 11 Q 1018 1017 1017 1018


THREE MONTH OUTLOOK FOR DEC/JAN/FEB:

NCEP's Depiction of the Global Sea Surface Temperature Evolution

The average Indian Ocean Dipole Mode Index for the past week is -0.03 (-0.06 standard deviations), the average Southern Oscillation Index (SOI) for the past 90 days is 14.18, the average SOI for the past 30 days (click here for a picture of recent trends) is 4.29, and the latest recorded bimonthly Multivariate ENSO Index (MEI) is -1.75. The expected MEI, adjusted by the Indian Ocean Dipole Mode Index and also by recent values of the SOI, for OCT/NOV is -0.7. Such a value of MEI indicates a sea surface temperature distribution that corresponds to a weak La Niña. This suggests:

RAINFALL: There is a slightly enhanced chance that total DEC/JAN/FEB rainfall will be above normal in the NORTHERN COUNTRY, NORTHEAST and WEST GIPPSLAND Districts, there is a very slightly enhanced chance that rainfall will be above normal in the NORTH CENTRAL and EAST GIPPSLAND Districts, but there is little indication as to whether rainfall will be below, near or above normal in other Victorian Districts.

OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES: There is a slightly enhanced chance that average DEC/JAN/FEB overnight temperatures will be below normal in the WIMMERA District, there is a very slightly enhanced chance that overnight temperatures will be above normal in the NORTH CENTRAL, EAST GIPPSLAND, WEST GIPPSLAND and CENTRAL Districts, but there is little indication as to whether overnight temperatures will be below, near or above normal in other Victorian Districts.

DAYTIME TEMPERATURES: There is a slightly enhanced chance that average DEC/JAN/FEB daytime temperatures will be below normal in the NORTHERN COUNTRY, NORTHEAST and WEST GIPPSLAND Districts, there is a very slightly enhanced chance that daytime temperatures will be above normal in the CENTRAL District, but there is little indication as to whether daytime temperatures will be below, near or above normal in other Victorian Districts.



30 DAY OUTLOOK FOR MELBOURNE:

Today's scientists talk in terms of the continent's large climate variability from season to season, and from year to year. What causes these fluctuations? They are, in part, connected with the climate phenomenon called the Southern Oscillation, a major air pressure shift between the Asian and east Pacific regions whose best-known extremes are El Niño events and La Niña events. The Pacific Ocean is a huge mass of water which controls many climate features in its region. Its equatorial expanse, far larger than the Indian or Atlantic Oceans, is critical to the development of the Southern Oscillation and the El Niño and the La Niña. The Multivariate ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation) Index, which combines the Sea Surface Temperature (SST) distribution across the Pacific with various features of the atmospheric circulation, is used to monitor the evolution of the El Niño and Southern Oscillation phenomena. The MEI is a bimonthly index which is calculated at the end of each month.

Another region of Sea Surface Temperature variability that impacts on Australian climate is that of the Indian Ocean. One mode of variability that appears to affect Australian rainfall, particularly the south east of the country, is the Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD). The IOD referred to here is defined by an index that is the difference between SST in the western (50°-70°E, 0°S-10°N) and eastern (90°-110°E, 10°-0°S) tropical Indian Oceans. A positive Indian Ocean Dipole Mode Index (DMI) occurs when the western basin is warmer than average and the eastern basin is cool and hence the DMI is positive. These regions were proposed in a paper by Saji et al. (1999) on the Indian Ocean Dipole that showed a modulation in Australian seasonal rainfall with DMI positive and negative years. The current Indian Ocean Dipole Mode Index (DMI) is -0.06 standard deviations.

Also impacting upon Australian climate variability is a phenomenon known as the Intra Seasonal Oscillation (ISO) (also known as the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO), after Madden and Julian, who first identified it in the early 1970s). They discovered that, at many locations in the tropics, surface pressure and upper atmospheric winds tend to go through a coherent cycle over periods of about 40 to 50 days. It has been found that a broad area of active cloud and rainfall propagates eastwards around the equator at intervals of between about 40 and 50 days. These are not strict time limits - research over the years has pushed the limits of the oscillation's period to between about 30 and 60 days. The Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) is presently operating in Phase 7. This is reflected in the near-equatorial enhanced convection being found over the central Pacific. Following Phase 7, the Pacific convection often dies out, and a new region of near-equatorial enhanced convection develops over the Western Hemisphere (South America).

In Melbourne, at this time of the year, a combination of the MEI, the DMI, and the MJO Phase, such as what we have operating now, suggests, over the following 30 days:

RAINFALL: There is a 46% chance of it being wet, a 32% chance of normal rainfall, and a 22% chance of it being dry.

Wet
Weather
Dry
Weather
Normal
Weather


OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES:
There is a 43% chance of warm nights, a 32% chance of normal overnight temperatures, and a 25% chance of cool nights.

Warm
Nights
Cool
Nights
Normal
Nights


DAYTIME TEMPERATURES: There is a 39% chance of warm days, a 33% chance of normal daytime temperatures, and a 28% chance of cool days.
Warm
Days
Cool
Days
Normal
Days


INPUT DATA

Day & DateMSLPmelMSLPhayMSLPsmiMSLPgabMSLPmtgMSLPfor700
rhmel
850
temp
min
9am
12noon
3pm
3pmdpt

gfsprecip
syn
type
offprecis
climatology
prob
TS
prob
FOG
raw
MIN
raw
MAX
raw
PoP
raw
QPF
Initial1016.11015.91012.71012.21017.11020.2111.712.5
16.8
18.4
19
7.7
--------
Wed-30-11-202210191016.81016.21018.210201017.937.86010PARTLY CLOUDY
10-20 10.3-21.2 10% 0- 0 (19% 0)
0.3%2%11.621.420.3%2.3
Thu-1-12-20221017.71013.91017.81017.61019.51013.5306.90.130CLOUDY
12-19 12.5-20.4 20% 0- 0 (20% 0)
0.4%0.3%11.820.58.2%0.5
Fri-2-12-20221017.21013.810191018.81017.31008.33010.8032BECOMING SUNNY
11-22 11.6-23.3 0% 0- 0 (21% 0)
0.6%0.5%11.724.54.6%1.9
Sat-3-12-20221015.31014.91015.91016.810151007.73013.9018SUNNY
11-29 11.5-30.2 0% 0- 0 (1% 0)
3.6%2%12.730.97%7.1
Sun-4-12-20221013.91013.11014.810151012.91007.73016.2018PARTLY CLOUDY
16-30 16.8-31.2 10% 0- 0 (25% 0)
4.3%0.7%15.134.39.2%6.8
Mon-5-12-20221010.31009.91012.31011.91009.51010.456.618.1017PARTLY CLOUDY
15-25 15.7-26.1 30% 0- 4 (26% 0)
18%0%18.531.510.2%1
Tue-6-12-20221001.61004.21006.11008.11000.91015.551.619.7033A FEW SHOWERS
14-23 14.7-23.5 70% 2- 8 (47% 1
25.8%2.5%17.534.186.9%9.9
Wed-7-12-20221010.71007.11008.71007.61013.61015.6306.50.527Empty
13.6-24.2 34% 1.9
4.8%0.1%10.420.645.3%2.3
Thu-8-12-20221014.21011.31019.11014.31017.81011.4307030Empty
13.6-24.2 34% 1.9
0.4%0.3%12.320.68.6%0.4
Fri-9-12-20221014.61012.610191018.91011.9999.7309.3050Empty
13.6-24.2 34% 1.9
4.2%2%11.529.42.7%0.9
Sat-10-12-20221008.51009.110091013.61003.11011.875.815.51335Empty
13.6-24.2 34% 1.9
13%0.2%16.82849.8%3.5
Sun-11-12-20221010.31009.21005.11005.81013.11019.4303.51.325Empty
14.1-24.5 34% 1.9
7.3%0.2%12.420.657.1%2.8
Mon-12-12-20221015.91014.91013.11014.31018.11020.1301.1025Empty
14.1-24.5 34% 1.9
4%0.1%10.919.636.7%1.8
Tue-13-12-20221017.41016.61015.11015.41019.71016.4302.3026Empty
14.1-24.5 34% 1.9
0.4%0.2%10.618.828.9%1.6
Day 151021.71018.61022.51021.61023.41013306.60oooooooooooooooooooooooo

DAYDATEWEATHER
(Melbourne)
WIND
(Melbourne Airport)
TEMPERATURES, RAINFALL, PHENOMENA
(Melbourne Olympic Park Site)
WEEK 1
Wed30-11-2022A cool night then a mild day. Cloudy at times during the morning, but without precipitation. A sunny afternoon.
PRECIS: BECOMING SUNNY
Mainly light wind, from a southwesterly direction at about 8 km/hr during the morning and from a southerly direction at about 10 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 30 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 11°C to 20°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 9% (probability)
FOG 2% (probability)
THUNDER 0% (probability)
Thu1-12-2022A cool night then a mild day. A cloudy morning, but without precipitation. Becoming sunny during the afternoon.
PRECIS: BECOMING SUNNY
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a south to southeasterly direction at about 12 km/hr during the morning and from a southerly direction at about 20 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 40 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 12°C to 19°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 22% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 0% (probability)
Fri2-12-2022A cool night then a mild to warm day. Sunny, but hazy at times.
PRECIS: HAZY
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a southerly direction at about 8 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a southerly direction, but at about 15 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 35 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 11°C to 23°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 1% (probability)
FOG 1% (probability)
THUNDER 1% (probability)
Sat3-12-2022A cool night then a very warm day. Clear skies and sunshine.
PRECIS: SUNNY
Mainly moderate wind, from a northerly direction at about 10 km/hr during the morning and from a southerly direction at about 15 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 45 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 12°C to 30°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 2% (probability)
FOG 2% (probability)
THUNDER 4% (probability)
Sun4-12-2022A mild night then a very warm day. A sunny morning. Cloudy at times during the afternoon, but without precipitation.
PRECIS: CLOUD INCREASING
Mainly moderate wind, from a northerly direction at about 10 km/hr during the morning and from a southerly direction at about 15 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 45 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 16°C to 31°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 13% (probability)
FOG 1% (probability)
THUNDER 4% (probability)
Mon5-12-2022A mild night then a warm day. Cloudy at times, but without precipitation.
PRECIS: PARTLY CLOUDY
Mainly moderate wind, from a northerly direction at about 10 km/hr during the morning and from a southerly direction at about 20 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 45 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 16°C to 26°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 31% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 18% (probability)
Tue6-12-2022A mild night then a warm day. Cloud increasing. Thunderstorms developing during the afternoon.
PRECIS: THUNDERSTORMS LATER
Mainly moderate to fresh wind, from a northerly direction at about 20 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a northerly direction, also at about 20 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 60 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 15°C to 26°C
RAINFALL 1.6mm (amount) 50% (probability)
FOG 2% (probability)
THUNDER 26% (probability)

DAYDATEWEATHER
(Melbourne)
WIND
(Melbourne Airport)
TEMPERATURES, RAINFALL, PHENOMENA
(Melbourne Olympic Park Site)
WEEK 2
Wed7-12-2022A cool night then a mild day. Cloudy at times with a few showers.
PRECIS: SHOWERS
Mainly moderate wind, from a south to southwesterly direction at about 15 km/hr during the morning and from a southerly direction at about 20 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 45 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 12°C to 21°C
RAINFALL 1.4mm (amount) 60% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 5% (probability)
Thu8-12-2022A cool night then a mild day. A cloudy morning, but without precipitation. Becoming sunny during the afternoon.
PRECIS: BECOMING SUNNY
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a south to southeasterly direction at about 12 km/hr during the morning and from a southerly direction at about 20 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 40 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 13°C to 21°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 23% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 0% (probability)
Fri9-12-2022A cool night then a warm day. A sunny morning. Cloudy at times during the afternoon, but without precipitation.
PRECIS: CLOUD INCREASING
Mainly moderate to fresh wind, from a northerly direction at about 20 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a northerly direction, but at about 25 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 60 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 12°C to 26°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 13% (probability)
FOG 2% (probability)
THUNDER 4% (probability)
Sat10-12-2022A mild night then a warm day. Breezy and cloudy at times, but without precipitation.
PRECIS: WINDY
Mainly fresh to strong wind, from a northerly direction at about 40 km/hr during the morning and continuing to be from a northerly direction, also at about 40 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 80 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 15°C to 27°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 49% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 13% (probability)
Sun11-12-2022A mild night then a mild to warm day. Cloudy at times with a few showers.
PRECIS: SHOWERS
Mainly moderate wind, from a southwesterly direction at about 20 km/hr during the morning and from a south to southwesterly direction, also at about 20 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 45 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 14°C to 23°C
RAINFALL 1.1mm (amount) 52% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 7% (probability)
Mon12-12-2022A cool night then a mild day. Sunny periods during the morning. Becoming cloudy during the afternoon, but without precipitation.
PRECIS: BECOMING CLOUDY
Mainly moderate wind, from a southwesterly direction at about 20 km/hr during the morning and from a south to southwesterly direction, also at about 20 km/hr, during the afternoon. Gusts to around 45 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 13°C to 21°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 25% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 4% (probability)
Tue13-12-2022A cool night then a mild day. A cloudy morning, but without precipitation. Becoming sunny during the afternoon.
PRECIS: BECOMING SUNNY
Mainly light to moderate wind, from a southwesterly direction at about 15 km/hr during the morning and from a southerly direction at about 20 km/hr during the afternoon. Gusts to around 40 km/hr.TEMPERATURES 13°C to 21°C
RAINFALL 0mm (amount) 24% (probability)
FOG 0% (probability)
THUNDER 0% (probability)